Under the supervision of the Sr. Director of Public Works, the Operations Manager will manage quality programs, supervise inspections and training programs, monitor existing processes and analyze their effectiveness; and creating strategies to improve productivity and efficiency within the maintenance and operations of public works infrastructure and other programs within the Public Works Directorate. Assists with long- and short-term planning; coordinates assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies; provides complex and responsible support to the Sr. Director of Public Works and others in areas of expertise.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
1. Assumes management responsibility for assigned areas in the operations department; plans, manages and oversees the daily functions and activities of assigned public works functional areas including Operations and Maintenance, Production Control and Projects.
2. Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned areas; recommend appropriate service and staffing levels.
3. Develop and standardize procedures and methods to improve and continuously monitor the efficiency and effectiveness of assigned programs, service delivery methods, and procedures; assess and monitor workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relations; identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations.
4. Participate in the selection of, train, motivate, and evaluate assigned personnel; provide and/or coordinate staff training; work with employees on performance issues; recommend discipline.
5. Maintains proactive, dynamic and effective communication with customers at all times.
6. Manages change to meet current business requirements.
7. Maintains and prepares detailed reports.
8. Meet and confer with contractors, engineers, developers, architects, a variety of outside agencies and the general public in acquiring information and coordinating public works maintenance matters; provide information regarding installation development requirements.
9. Interface effectively with other departments.
10. Monitor and review production progress against deadline targets to ensure on time delivery.
11. Provide technical information and instruction regarding applicable procedures and methods.
12. Receive, investigate and respond to difficult and sensitive problems and complaints in a professional manner; identify and report findings and take necessary corrective action.
13. Performs other duties as required.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Personal computer and associated software
Microsoft Office Applications (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Project, Excel, Outlook)
Work is generally conducted in an office environment. However, duties may occasionally involve working outside with a potential exposure to extreme temperatures.
Work may require heavy lifting up, stooping, climbing, prolonged standing, prolonged sitting, and working with or in areas where a potential could exist for exposure to physical, chemical or biological agents. Employee use of personal protective equipment (PPE) is required for some situations. PPE includes but is not limited to head, foot, torso, respiratory, vision, and hearing protective devices. Complies with all Fire and Safety Regulations and post policies.
Education/Certification: One-year related experience may be substituted for one year of education, if degree is required.
B. S. Degree with three (3) years operations experience to include 3 years of supervisory experience. Professional certification in project management is a plus
Must have a three to five (3-5) years operations management experience; preferably in maintenance and facility management.
Previous experience in Field Operations for major project or group of smaller projects.
Proven ability to build relationships and negotiate with vendors and subcontractors to maximize service.
Ability to motivate employees to meet goals, deadlines and targets regardless of operational setbacks.
Proven track record of continuous systems improvements.
Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Ability to build a high-performance team who can operate efficiently, effectively, productively and cost effectively.
Possess the ability to work productively, efficiently & effectively with initiative and drive under tight timescales and pressure whilst maintaining attention to detail and quality.
Computer proficiency in Maximo, Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word
Experience in data collection and technical writing
Knowledge of government contract management
Strong leadership and analytical skill
Be personally energetic, dynamic, positive, enthusiastic and possess the ability to think laterally and act through reasoned decision making.
Good interpersonal and people management skills